[Grok-dev] Grok 1.1 and error messages

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Thu Jul 8 11:11:39 EDT 2010

On 07/08/2010 04:13 PM, Jan-Wijbrand Kolman wrote:
> On 7/8/10 16:02 PM, Jan-Wijbrand Kolman wrote:
>> On 7/8/10 15:54 PM, Martijn Faassen wrote:
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> Grok 1.1 doesn't send error messages to the console anymore, and that's
>>> really really frustrating when debugging. It also seems to screw up the
>>> way I do pdb, but that might just be me in frustration.
>>
>> Just to be sure: grok-1.1 or grok-1.1.1?

Grok 1.1.1.

> I just created a fresh project based on grok-1.1.1. I added an update()
> method to the Index view class and in the update method I raise an
> Exception.
>
> When using the debug.ini profile and opening the index view,
> the traceback is printed to the console. If I set a breakpoint just
> before the raise, I get the pdb prompt.
>
> When using the deploy.ini I still get the pdb prompt at the breakpoint.
> The exception is however printed to the log/event.log.
>
> All of this is configged in the *.ini files.

I've been using deploy.ini to do development in the past, as debug.ini
added all kinds of stuff I wasn't looking for (exception formatting
view, for instance). In the past, deploy.ini would log errors to the
console, but it stopped doing so.

Is there harm in logging exceptions to the console in deploy.ini?
Perhaps I should switch to using debug.ini for a while and see how that
works now. I just know that deploy.ini's behavior was different in the past.

I admit I have no idea how the .ini files work; I copied an older
deploy.ini to get the old behavior back again in the end.

[I'm not sure about the pdb behavior; it seemed to behave rather oddly
giving lines I wasn't debugging at all, but that might have been due to
my frustration]