[Grok-dev] future sprint opportunities

Uli Fouquet uli at gnufix.de
Fri Jul 9 06:41:42 EDT 2010

Hi there,

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> On 07/06/2010 08:16 PM, Uli Fouquet wrote:
> [bandwidth]
> > I was told that they already have the maximum bandwidth provided by
> > local providers. It's the maximum offered in far-off places like these.
> > But I'll check back.
>
> Yeah, I was afraid of that. But do please check. In any case, I think we
> can live with such bandwidth.

Checked back. The downstream rate is 3 MBit (not 2) but the upstream is
really only 512 KBit and in fact the maximum rate offered. They already
pay double-rate compared to prices in cities (and would have paid more
already if they could only get more bandwidth, but that seems not to be
possible) :-/

> > I'd say: at least 8 people, with some extra-tables maybe 12 or 15. It
> > would help, at least for planning shuttle-service and similar, to limit
> > the maximum number of participants. Maybe 12?
>
> Sure, let's aim for 12 then. I think we should send out a few special
> invitations to people active in the Grok community. Listing some that I
> don't think I've ever met at a sprint, for instance Sebastian Ware and
> Jeroen Michiel.

Yep, would be nice to meet them :-)

I talked to Bories from Fafalter (our maybe-hosts) and he too thinks
that 12 people should be able to work and eat there, while for really
comfortable working with enough space for everybody, probably a maximum
number of 10 people would fit better. So, I'm considering to lower the
recommended-person-number to 10.

> >> As to cultural stuff, I'd like to make use of the 5 days of sprinting as
> >> much as possible, so it'd be nice if we could somehow organize something
> >> half-day or so in the neighborhood so we make optimal use of our time.
> >
> > As "cultural places" are also a bit far-off and transportation will be
> > tricky, we might need a whole day for that. But I'll leave that up to
> > Aroldos capable hands. Maybe he would like to speak up himself?
>
> Perhaps the cultural stuff could be placed in the wood itself somehow;
> is there a museum of the defeat of the Romans by the Germans, for
> instance? That might bring it back to a more reasonable distance. Sprint
> time is precious as we don't have it a lot, so I'd prefer to get 4.5
> days of sprint time from people instead of 4.

From what I learned, there is no museum or similar nearby. Tourists
staying at Bad Essen normally seem to do walking-tours through the woods
or visit the not-too-far-away castles (one belonging to the anchestors
of our maybe-host). There are, however, some dolmen (megalithic tombs)
around and some original footprints of dinosaurs (no mammoths,
unfortunately; would have been splendid to see traces of Manfred
entering a cave ;-) not too far away (half an hour by car). The latters
might be not a big sight but they're probably close enough to manage a
visit within half a day, I think.

Best regards,

--
Uli