[Grok-dev] a versioning issue with Grok 0.14.1

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Mar 2 12:14:26 EST 2010

Hi there,

I figured out what was going wrong:

In the version info for 0.14:

http://grok.zope.org/releaseinfo/grok-0.14.cfg

we see this entry:

grokui.admin = 0.1.2

In 0.14.1 (which this project uses):

http://grok.zope.org/releaseinfo/grok-0.14.1.cfg

We don't see this entry! This means that grokui.admin isn't pinned, and
it starts pulling in a very recent version of grokui.admin.

We have a buildout.cfg which relies directly on the version info on
grok.zope.org. In more modern grokprojects, I think already in use in
the 0.14 era, we downloaded the versions.cfg file and grokproject amends
it somewhat. It's possible that grokproject pins down the version of
grokui.admin there? Does anyone have a 0.14.1 setup of Grok?

Lesson for the future: we should really depend on "allow-picked-versions
= false" when preparing releases. That doesn't mean we should include
this in people's buildout.cfg's, but we *should* do it in our
groktoolkit stuff (and we are).