[Grok-dev] remove the download tarball functionality from grokproject?

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Mar 2 15:31:43 EST 2010

Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> On 3/2/10 19:12 , Martijn Faassen wrote:
>> Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>> [using an index]
>>> You can use multiple indexes iirc.
>> I understood that buildout didn't allow this. Is this a new feature?
>>
>>> I was also a bit inaccurate: BFG has
>>> its own index, while Plone and Pylons have a mirror of all packages that
>>> you can use with find-links. That is simpler to setup and gives the
>>> same effect. See http://dist.plone.org/release/3.3.4 for an example.
>> Does find-links guarantee that these packages will be found *before* it
>> falls back on pypi?
>
> I honestly don't know. But does that matter?

It does matter. Part of the reason for the tarball is permanent
reliability; we make the tarball, it's good forever, no matter what pypi
does. If people remove packages from pypi, it still works. If people
*replace* packages on pypi, it still works. If people set up weird links
in pypi which send you off to a server that is currently hanging or is
initd.org or whatever, it still works.

If find-links kicks in too late, we might lose some of that reliability
(and also some of the performance).  It depends on the fall back
behavior of the tools.