[Grok-dev] remove the download tarball functionality from grokproject?

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Wed Mar 3 02:18:41 EST 2010

On 2010-3-2 21:31, Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>> On 3/2/10 19:12 , Martijn Faassen wrote:
>>> Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>>> [using an index]
>>> I understood that buildout didn't allow this. Is this a new feature?

>>> Does find-links guarantee that these packages will be found *before* it
>>> falls back on pypi?
>>
>> I honestly don't know. But does that matter?
>
> It does matter. Part of the reason for the tarball is permanent
> reliability; we make the tarball, it's good forever, no matter what pypi
> does. If people remove packages from pypi, it still works. If people
> *replace* packages on pypi, it still works. If people set up weird links
> in pypi which send you off to a server that is currently hanging or is
> initd.org or whatever, it still works.
>
> If find-links kicks in too late, we might lose some of that reliability
> (and also some of the performance).  It depends on the fall back
> behavior of the tools.

I still don't understand the problem. You use a KGS in the form of one
or more .cfg files to pin down the versions of all packages, so
unexpected upgrades can not be a problem. That leaves pypi or the
download sites it points to having stability problems, which you can
counter by using your own find-links site. The only possible problem you
will then have is timeouts while waiting for pypi to respond. That can
easily be countered by specifying a download timeout for buildout.

What problem do you still see remaining?

Wichert.

--
Wichert Akkerman <wichert at wiggy.net>   It is simple to make things.
http://www.wiggy.net/                  It is hard to make things simple.