[Grok-dev] dependencies missing needed for Grok 1.1 backwards compatibility

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Wed Mar 24 10:07:56 EDT 2010

Steve Schmechel wrote:
> Is there a reason that someone would have to quickly upgrade to
> Grok 1.1, and not have the time to fix the dependencies in their
> own application?  If there is some sort of major security issue
> discovered, it should probably be fixed in version 1.0 and 1.1
> anyway.
>
> I think having this package available will just tempt people to
> be lazy and put off really updating their application.  Either
> it just delays the inevitable, or the package would need to be
> maintained indefinitely.

I think the best point for a backwards compatibility package is that if
we don't maintain this package, we won't really get a good idea of
what's actually required in that package.

We could maintain the same information in upgrade notes ("please change
your setup.py to include A and B and C"), but that seems like a
duplicate of effort for everybody involved, more effort for those
upgrading their app, and it can be less easily tested.

People will also want to upgrade to Grok 1.1 without yet having to
modify all their code before they run the tests to verify whether
anything works at all.