[Grok-dev] find-links instead of eggbasket

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Thu Mar 25 10:31:11 EDT 2010

Hi there,

 From the discussion earlier it looks like we can reliably use
find-links instead of eggbasket, with a caveat concerning timeout.

So, I propose:

* we devise a way to make our own index for Grok on
   grok.zope.org/releaseinfo. This should contain basically what the
   eggbasket contains (including windows eggs and such). So perhaps we
    can use eggbasket. compoze is also a tool we should consider.

* we use the same structure we already had proposed for downloading the
   versions info, though it turns out due to the extends cache we don't
   strictly need it. I'd say: grok.zope.org/releaseinfo/1.1/eggs/ or
   something for the eggs for Grok 1.1. We can put the versions list also
   under grok.zope.org/releaseinfo/1.1/versions.cfg

* we then add a find-links to our standard grokproject-generated grok
   projects that points to this. We remove the eggbasket stuff from
   grokproject-generated projects.

* there was some talk about adding timeout facilities to buildout. This
   doesn't sound strictly necessary to ensure Grok eggs will be fetched
   from grok.zope.org, as find-links is reported to be followed first,
   but we should at least explore what's optimal here for a typical
   Grok installation.

Hopefully this strategy will make installation for beginners at least as
smooth as with eggbasket, but installation for users who already have
installed Grok more smooth as no more downloading of giant tarballs.