[Grok-dev] new grokui.admin issues

Uli Fouquet uli at gnufix.de
Wed May 19 02:12:40 EDT 2010

Hi there,

Martijn Faassen wrote:

> I've found that when I start up a fresh Grok 1.1 project I get the
> following warnings, probably due to grokui.admin:
>
> UserWarning: Found the following unassociated template(s) when grokking
> 'grokui.base.layout': statusmessages, menuviewlet, authors, banner,
> logininformation.  Define view classes inheriting from grok.View to
> enable the template(s).
>
> UserWarning: Found the following unassociated template(s) when grokking
> 'grokui.base.viewlets': grokuilayout.  Define view classes inheriting
> from grok.View to enable the template(s).
>
> UserWarning: Found the following unassociated template(s) when grokking
> 'grokui.admin.applications': rename, server.  Define view classes
> inheriting from grok.View to enable the template(s).
>
> UserWarning: Found the following unassociated template(s) when grokking
> 'grokui.admin.server': rename, applications.  Define view classes
> inheriting from grok.View to enable the template(s).
>
>   UserWarning: Found the following unassociated template(s) when
> grokking 'grokui.admin.views': applications, server.  Define view
> classes inheriting from grok.View to enable the template(s).
>
> I think these are very unhelpful. Rather wondering why I hadn't seen
> them before. Could someone go and fix grokui.admin to not emit these
> warnings anymore? We could then release a Grok 1.1.1 that fixes this issue.

I agree that these warnings are unpleasant, even more, if I try to use
shared templates in other projects with lots of templates: the screen is
flooded with messages like this on startup.

These warnings are all caused by shared templatedirs. If this is a
correct use of templates, then not grokui.admin is wrong, but the
templateregistry, just being too picky. Beside this the warnings are
simply misleading: there _are_ view classes defined for each template.
They are only placed in a different module.

There is a branch from Vincent (and you, Martijn?) in grokui.view that
should fix that problem really. I wonder, whether these changes made it
into grokcore.view.

If not, I'd strongly opt for fixing grokcore.view in the first place.
grokui.admin and grokui.base could be changed as well.

Best regards,

--
Uli