[Grok-dev] Problem with megrok.chameleon

Jan-Jaap Driessen jdriessen at thehealthagency.com
Sun Apr 10 03:15:49 EDT 2011

Hi Rob,

On 10 April 2011 05:22, Rob Campbell <kg6hum at gmail.com> wrote:
> Souheil,
>
> Thank you for the reply.  I wasn't trying to use Chameleon 2.0, that
> was just what buildout decided to download.  Was I doing something
> incorrectly when I just added megrok.chameleon to my setup.py?  I
> would have thought that buildout would handle retrieving the correct
> versions of dependencies.
>
> I am new to Grok and buildout, so if I am doing something wrong I
> would like to correct it.
>
> --
> Rob Campbell
> KG6HUM

You are not doing anything wrong. Version management, especially
forward compatibility is a PITA.

Unless instructed otherwise, buildout tries to download the latest
version of a distribution. You can control buildout's version strategy
by pinning versions or by not letting buildout pick versions at all.
Have a look at the 'versions' and 'allow-picked-versions' options
described here:

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zc.buildout#repeatable-buildouts-controlling-eggs-used

In your case, pinning chameleon to a 1.x release should suffice.

Ideally the megrok.chameleon maintainer fixes megrok.chameleon to work
with chameleon 2.* or declares megrok.chameleon incompatible with 2.*.
Or in this case, point to dolmen.chameleon if this is a drop-in
replacement.

Cheers,

--
Jan-Jaap Driessen