[Grok-dev] megrok.chameleon, next steps

Uli Fouquet uli at gnufix.de
Mon Apr 18 09:42:57 EDT 2011

Hi JW,

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman wrote:

> Ok, it is clear we need to work on megrok.chameleon. I think these are
> the issues brought up by people in the previous discussion-thread:
>
> 1) the dependency on z3c.pt is perceived as unwanted by some people, but
> at the same time Uli explains[1] why it was added back as dependency.
>
> We need to decide to either a) get rid of z3c.pt and move the necessary
> glue code into megrok.chameleon, or b) to trust the current
> z3c.pt-rewrite and its maintainer and use it. Votes please.

My vote is:

- stick with z3c.pt for next release (except someone is willing to do
  it right now; I'm far too busy)

- get rid of it afterwards

> 2) there's an issue for switching the auto-reloading of changed template
> files on and off. I understand Chameleon does this by looking for
> environment variables, however glue layers can signal their own idea of
> auto-reloading when pagetemplate file objects are instantiated,
> overriding the environment variable.
>
> So, again, we need to decide: a) we use an environment variable specific
> to chameleon, or b) we provide in the megrok.chameleon glue layer a
> different way to signal auto-reloading that then can be reused by other
> component that want different behaviour in development mode[2]. Votes
> please.

a) should work already. So it is a decision about b) or not to b) ;)

I like the way Pyramid does it. Respecting a ``reload_templates`` option
in deploy.ini/debug.ini sounds nice to me. That would mean to tweak
grokcore.startup or zope.app.wsgi I assume?

-0.5 for examining devmode (if that would reintroduce z.a.appsetup).

Overall +1 for b).

Best regards,

--
Uli