[Grok-dev] the grok package becoming an "import hub"

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman janwijbrand at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 03:50:29 EST 2011

On 2/14/11 17:14 PM, Matthias wrote:
> Am 14.02.2011, 12:39 Uhr, schrieb Jan-Wijbrand Kolman
> <janwijbrand at gmail.com>:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We've been discussing how the grok package could become an import hub of
>> some sort, to make it easy to import components in your application. At
>> the same time the grok package should not force dependencies on you, so
>> we've been thinking about making the imports conditional somehow.
>>
>> I'd also like to add the following "feature": the grok package should
>> somehow "know" what components to import and expose from the various
>> grokcore.* packages. This prevents having to release a new grok package
>> just because some grokcore.package was released with new components.
>>
>> Or would this be too magic?
>
> I think it's nice that there's a grok package version number one can talk
> about. E.g. "I am using grok 1.3" implying a certain version set of
> grokcore packages. If "1.3" can mean different versions of e.g.
> grokcore.component then things like troubleshooting on this mailing list
> will get much harder, because you might have to send the whole list of
> versions you are using.

A Grok release (note the capital "G") already is a fixed set of versions
of all the packages, including the grok *package* version.

Yesterday I had to release grok (the package) 1.5 just because it
imports two new names from the newly released grokcore.component. No big
deal BTW, it just made me think about what the "import hub-nature" of
grok could look like.

regards, jw