[Grok-dev] megrok.layout --> grokcore.layout and megrok.chameleon --> grokcore.chameleon

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman janwijbrand at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 08:22:14 EDT 2011

Hi,

On 15/07/2011 13:56 , Martijn Faassen wrote:
> How does this affect the future of grokcore.viewlet? Is this competing
> with grokcore.layout now?

Viewlets do not at all compete with Layout components. Layout components
"compete" with the tradtional ZPT macros. Viewlets and other content
provider can be used perfectly fine when using the Layout and Page
components.

> I think for future steps we need to make progress on two topics we
> identified during the last sprint:
>
> * a grok core that is okay with dropping selective dependencies
> (conditionally importing them for convenience reasons)

The chameleon and layout dependencies now indeed will be pulled in
whether or not you're using them. And indeed we need to figure out a
robust way for these "conditional" imports.

I just thought in this case it was OK not to have to invent that
conditional-import mechanisms before I could add these component that
quite some Grok projects use.

> * a grok core that doesn't depend on the Grok UI, and instead just has
> one application installed as the top level. It'd be good to make this
> work for both ZODB apps as well as ZODB-less apps.
>
> This way we can have an "all-in" Grok that is good for "traditional"
> zope applications, but also have the option of a more "light weight"
> Grok that drops things like the ZODB, grokcore.layout, grokcore.viewlet,
> etc.

Agreed this would still be (very) useful to work on.

regards, jw