[Grok-dev] We launched a cool site using Grok

Sebastian Ware sebastian at urbantalk.se
Mon Jul 18 16:20:23 EDT 2011

Hi everybody!

Just wanted to let you know that we launched a pretty cool site built with Grok.

  http://www.boardsportsource.com/

Works really nice in both a web browser and on the iPad. Basically we have the second generation of our in-house workflow based CMS as the backend and we're running Grok 1.4.

On the front-end we are running Mootools and a thin mootools based run-time that handles user interaction and dispatching actions to the back-end. It is very much an AJAX-website but with all business logic on the back-end.

We have some complex data types thank's to the ZODB which allows us among other things to save multi-res images and serve the best fitting image to visitors with different resolution displays.

I think we have around 200k+ objects in the database with plenty of image galleries and 5k of news posts. Almost 5 Gb of images. They have all been exported from a previous generation of the site and then imported using a simple custom built utility and adapter based import mechanism.

It was great fun building and we are getting pretty decent performance. You can check it out for yourself.

Our next step is to bypass Grok when serving dynamic images to improve performance. It's should only be a configuration issue and will hopefully improve the user experience on iPads and smart phones over slow connections.

Mvh Sebastian