[Grok-dev] grok and templates

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman janwijbrand at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 12:38:58 EDT 2011

On 3/28/11 17:36 PM, Souheil CHELFOUH wrote:
> Hello
>
> Having a look at the grokcore.view in depth, I think we could improve the stack.
> In my opinion, grokcore.view should not be the home package of the
> templates and their grokker.
> We already splitted out the template grokker, now, I think we should
> externalize the template grokking and definition in another package.
> Why ? Well, right now, the template package depends on many things,
> like zope.pagetemplate, that itself depends on zope.publisher.
> On another hand, we have megrok.chameleon, that, in the mind of many
> people, should be the default, now.
> I would like your opinion about this stack, as  ithink we could severe
> some ties with zope and get closer to chameleon
> Also, we could also provide a grokcore.template which could simply
> provide a way to declare template-aware components, whatever they are

My opinion:

+1 to a package that declares generic template-aware components and the
template registry-like stuff  - grokcore.template would be fine for me -
splitted out from grokcore.view.

+1 to a grokcore.zopepagetemplate that would be a concrete templating
implementation for template-aware components.

+1 to a [megrok|grokcore].chameleon that also would be a concrete
implementation of templating for template-aware components.

-0 on advertising chameleon over ZPT at this point.

Of course, we do need to keep a careful eye on backwards-compatibility
and when and how we might consider to break it.

regards, jw