[Grok-dev] Grok Research

Noe Nieto nnieto at noenieto.com
Tue Aug 28 12:33:20 UTC 2012

Grok is centered about the ZODB and the Zope Component Architecture. This
is very unique with respect to frameworks that are built around SQL
statements.

So, yes, Its better to think about components. There are four basic
concepts: Interfaces, Adapters, Utilities and Persistence. Every major
piece of your application is a component.

I recommend reading this:
http://www.muthukadan.net/docs/zca.html*

--
Noe

*
2012/8/28 Holger S. <holger.s at fu-berlin.de>

>  Hello,
>
> we at the Free University Berlin *are holding a contest, where *top-class
> teams of three programmers compete to implement the same requirements for a
> web-based system within two days, using different technology platforms (
> https://www.plat-forms.org/). *Its purpose* is not to determine "the"
> best platform, but rather to provide new insights into the real (rather
> than purported) pros, cons, and emergent properties of each platform.
>
> We used to discern platforms by language, but found that similar web
> frameworks can make properties of solutions similar over different
> languages. So, because it is one, we are also investing the properties of
> grok :-)
> And this is where I need your help on two questions:
>
>     - what is the typical development procedure when developing a web
> application with grok?
>         We want to find out in what steps a developer implements an
> application in a framework, for example whether they start with models,
> templates or tests.
>         Is this somewhat similar to the procedure in this tutorial?
>         http://grok.zope.org/documentation/tutorial/grok-poller-tutorial
>
>         1. bootstrap grok
>         2. write model classes
>         3. for each user story
>             a. write views
>             b. write tests
>             c. write templates
>
>     - what is the mental model when writing a grok application? Do you
> think in terms of URLs, actions, form, components?
>
> Regards,
> Holger

---
Noe Nieto