[Grok-dev] Grok-dev Digest, Vol 70, Issue 7

Paul Sephton prsephton at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 05:26:44 UTC 2012

On 16/07/2012 14:00, grok-dev-request at zope.org wrote:
> If installing a virtualenv is still recommended (and from my point of
> view it is), we could make it the default (turning ``--virtualenv`` into
> ``--no-virtualenv``).
>
> Beside this we might want an additional ``--download-base`` option to
> allow download from other locations than PyPI.
>
> What would be the cons/side-effects?

I was under the impression that virtualenv was no longer required?

An immediate problem I could think of, is integration of the dev
environment with tools like Eclipse (esp. for code
completion/debugging).  As it stands, the eggs go in the ~/.buildout
directory.  This would be different for virtualenv?  How would one tell
Eclipse to share the same virtual environment?  I have never used
virtualenv, so it's a bit intimidating :-)

Speaking of this, integration with Eclipse/pydev/Aptana  is still not
easy, even with the existence of recipes to help out on that front.
There are just so many packages to add to the pythonpath.  If I could
add an item to the wishlist...

Kind regards

--
We will have solar energy as soon as the utility companies solve one
technical problem -- how to run a sunbeam through a meter.