[Grok-dev] ZTK 2.0 process and Grok

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman janwijbrand at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 17:40:00 UTC 2013

Hi,

Recently people on the zope dev list started looking into a "ZTK 2.0"
process. Quite a lot of the ZTK packages have been ported to Python 3,
and it is time to get the dust off of the ZTK.

What does this mean for Grok?

Well, it means to Grok whatever we want it to.

* We could do nothing and have Grok use the ZTK 1.1.x indefinitely. This
is in a way what is happening already.

* We could try to get on the ZTK 2.0 bandwagon. This would probably mean
we need to take over maintainership of some of the zope.app.* packages
that a vanilla-Grok based application still uses. ZTK 2.0 will probably
drop support for the zope.app.* packages.

* We could try to get on the ZTk 2.0 bandwagon *and* try to get "our"
stuff ported to Python 3 as well. This is considerably more work, as the
whole basis of martian needs to be changed in that case.

I'll to keep an eye on what the ZTK 2.0 is doing. I expressed my
interest in ZTK 2.0 developments from both a personal (and Grok) and
from a business perspective on the zope dev list.

Of course I'd like to know your thoughts as well!

regards, jw