[Grok-dev] Restarting web development after 6 years... With Zope based tools?

lozinski lozinski at privacv.com
Wed Jul 19 22:26:07 CEST 2017

> On Jul 19, 2017, at 11:13 AM, Milind Khadilkar <zedobject at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> For a small project on our hands, we plan to use GAE, largely because there is someone available locally to do hand holding... and probably also because the customer is fine with anything Google.

So here is what I know about GAE.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_App_Engine <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_App_Engine>

You will presumably be using the Google Cloud Database.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Cloud_Datastore <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Cloud_Datastore>

It is a relational database.

I would argue that you would be way more productive if you used Persistent Python, the ZODB.  There are multiple major successful projects built by just one person using the ZODB, literally at 1/100th the price of competing project built using relational databases.

https://pythonlinks.info/zodb-applications-built-by-just-one-developer <https://pythonlinks.info/zodb-applications-built-by-just-one-developer>

Of course persuading a client of that is impossible.  Why should they take any risk?  Best to just go for a big brand name.  Everyone else does.

Hope that helps.
Chris