[Grok-doc] Anybody interested in merging some howtos?

Paul Wilson paulalexwilson at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 11:48:26 EST 2010

On 10 February 2010 16:33, Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 5:28 PM, Paul Wilson <paulalexwilson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Yes - exactly. Your style has not gone unnoticed Martijn ;-) I think
>> assigning roles and then asking for progress periodically, with
>> launchpad for organisation should be a good start.
>
> You mean just for documentation for more broadly for Grok? I don't
> want to overengineer the roles bit, but perhaps we do need roles:

I was talking about documentation, but I think the principle applies
equally well to other aspects of Grok.

> * sysadmin folks (has its mailing list)
>
> * website folks (no mailing list. hm!)
>
> * documentation folks (has its mailing list)
>
> * programming folks (has its mailing list; grok-dev also does more than that)
>
> Of course all these roles overlap in people.
>
> If we have those roles, or *efforts* ("the documentation effort"), we
> can do the following:
>
> * put a web page saying: these are the different grok efforts
>
> * point out on this web page who is in the effort (contact people, who
> is in charge, even!) and how to contact them (the mailing list), see
> launchpad issues that are related, etc.

+1 from me! A regular progress report from each effort would be very
useful too. It would:

  * keep things moving forward - no one's going to want to have no
progress to report!
  * keep others informed about what's happening with Grok's progress.
(e.g. documentation folks could review the summary of the development
work and identify documents that may be affected by changes [or
perhaps this should be done from the CHANGES.txt produced at each
release...]).

Anyway, I think roles are a good idea. :)

Regards,
Paul