[Grok-doc] TASK: Update About Grok to include mention of ZODB.org

Roger Erens roger.erens at e-s-c.biz
Fri Feb 26 14:02:15 EST 2010

Hello Aroldo,

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 12:31, Aroldo Souza-Leite <asouzaleite at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi Roger,

[snip...]

>> You _REALLY_ want to earn that Grokstar, don't you?! Do you like
>> blogging so much (http://svn.zope.org/Grokstar/)?
>>

> I don't get the pun. I can't remember having blogged ever, and I must have
> missed some important piece of information that associates a Grok star with
> the Grokstar blog. I just have a young date this weekend and could use a
> Grok star to show her as the beginnig of a conversation.

I was just struck by the subtle difference of just one space and
wanted to make this clear for posterity (search bots). But probably
I'm just very jealous, eh proud, that you're on the verge of being the
very first Grok Star nominee; I can't wait for the IRC-log in which
Sebastian will award it to you! (I think a Grok Star Award would make
for an interesting evening during Grok-sprints...)

>> On topic:
>> For people who like lists, this solution looks perfect. For people who
>> like stories, merging the info into the Evaluate-document would have
>> been better.
>>

> I think a story is better than a list. To start writing a story, I created

That's why I liked the Evaluate-document.

> http://grok.zope.org/about/the-grok-story in pure reStructuredText.
> The-grok-story now contains most of the infos in the 'list', which makes the
> present list items http://grok.zope.org/about/ redundant. The-grok-story
> should in my opinion replace most of the items in
> http://grok.zope.org/about. Perhaps only
> http://grok.zope.org/about/download,
> http://grok.zope.org/about/overview-of-namespaces and
> http://grok.zope.org/about/useful-libraries should stay outside the
> the-grok-story page.
>
> So my suggestion is:
>
> a) keep
> http://grok.zope.org/about/the-grok-story
> http://grok.zope.org/about/overview-of-namespaces
> http://grok.zope.org/about/useful-libraries
> http://grok.zope.org/about/download
>
> b) DELETE all other sub-items from http://grok.zope.org/about
>
> c) Rewrite http://grok.zope.org/about/the-grok-story
> c.1) clean it up from redundancies
> c.2) verify links
> c.3) reorder the paragraphs
> c.4) flatten the text for a more prose-like  and  less list-like  structure
>
> I could work on this, beginning next Monday.
>
> What do you think?

I would solicit for some more comments, e.g. from Sebastian. We need
to decide who the target audience is, and what it (should?) wants to
learn about Grok through an 'About Grok'-link. I think the-grok-story
page is way too long now, making it too difficult for interested
visitors to create a 'Mental Map' of what Grok is in a reasonable
short amount of time. That's why I liked the Evaluate-page better than
the About-page with its long list (IMHO, long lists are boring,
especially in Powerpoint presentations), because it offers links to
subjects in such a way that the reader is 'in control' of what (s)he
is going to read and learn: ("Oh, I know that term, I'm gonna skip
that link; Hey, what's that functionality supposed to mean? Let's find
out and click the link"). The only good thing about lists is that
they're easier to find stuff back.

So, I'd wait a few more days :-)