[Grok-doc] Migration of comunity docs has stalled...

Uli Fouquet uli at gnufix.de
Mon Jan 3 07:05:06 EST 2011

Hi there,

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman wrote:
> On 1/3/11 12:28 PM, Uli Fouquet wrote:

> Yes I have. I'll look into this (I know I promised before, twice...
> sorry about the "latency").

No worries, please! Another problem that might arise with the build.sh
script in the grok trunk:

I meanwhile updated major parts of the reference documentation in
grok/trunk/doc/reference. I think these reference docs should go apart
from community docs, so the 'reference' link in the community docs
should go to some foreseeable but external URL (maybe:
http://packages.python.org/grok?)

These reference docs now also depend on Sphinx (and grok, due to lots of
auto-documenting) only. The build process therefore has changed and can
be triggered by the usual `sphinx-build` command (or `grokdoc2html|
latex` which are wrappers around `sphinx-build`). This `sphinx-build`
command, however, which can be buildout-generated, can change over time
with new versions of Sphinx. So I'd rather love to see a script that
also generates the `sphinx-build` command freshly when run, especially,
when it comes to cron-triggered nightly builds. For single-time use one
could trigger the command manually (for instance when releasing a new
Grok version).

The reference docs now also provide some doctests to make sure the given
examples really work. This, however, is still some work to do, as test
setup can become hairy in Sphinx envs, but most simple examples can be
tested already running the sphinx doctest builder. Maybe we want to run
the doctest-builder as well in the long run?

Just my 2c.

Best regards,

--
Uli