[Gsoc] License for code upload to google

Uli Fouquet uli at gnufix.de
Sat Aug 18 13:24:25 EDT 2007

Hi guys,

I got a bit confused about all that license stuff. After reading all
mails, reviewing the main GSOC list and the documents given by Google, I
see situation as follows. Please correct me, if I am wrong!

Am Freitag, den 17.08.2007, 19:01 -0300 schrieb Luciano Ramalho:
> On 8/17/07, Philipp von Weitershausen <philipp at weitershausen.de> wrote:
> > Filed an issue in the bug tracker:
> > http://code.google.com/p/google-summer-of-code/issues/detail?id=117
>
> Here is the response from Leslie Hawthorn from the GSoC team:
>
> """
> We have a license tag for this project only which notes that the licenses
> vary - see source code.  It hasn't been changed on the project, but will be
> before code submissions are required.
>
> Cheers,
> LH
> """

License stated in central project page:
---------------------------------------

The change announced above just happend, as you can see here:

	 http://code.google.com/p/google-summer-of-code/

The page now says: 'Multiple Licenses'. This makes it clear for me, that
GSoC 2007 is a 'project' with several 'subprojects', that have their own
licenses respectively.

License of sub projects:
------------------------

I do not know, whether we have to select a license when we upload our
code on the upload pages (apart from the license stated in the uploaded
files), simply, because the upload is currently not open.

I assume, the upload section which is here:

  http://code.google.com/p/google-summer-of-code/downloads/list

will be different to the current Google project pages, where you,
Luciano, hosted your project in the beginning. You already told that
both (the final evaluation uploads and the project hosting) are a
different thing and Leslie told on the lists, that also projects, which
already put their code into the projects section, have to provide the
upload.

The upload will happen in a single tar-ball. In my case I will include a
very clear license note in the root of the tar-ball, saying that all my
stuff is ZPL. If someone downloads the files, there should be no doubt
about the license.

I also included the ZPL in every source file, as Philipp recommended
(thanks Philipp!).

General Google policy
---------------------

Furthermore Leslie said on the main GSOC list, that every (open-source
compatible) license would be fine if it suits the mentoring
organization. As Google does not request any (copy)rights or similar, I
think this is in line with the general policy of SOC: students work,
organizations get the code (including all rights) and Google pays.

That was the reason, that I did not rack my brains too much on that
matter.

Please tell me, if I should have missed something important!

Because my upload will happen last, I am in the comfortable position to
ask you guys, whether everything went fine ;-)

I think the filed issue can be closed.

All the best to your (preliminary) final work!

Kind regards,

--
Uli