[Gsoc] Project List

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Thu Mar 29 05:36:30 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I just checked the project list and I think having 2 Grok projects in the top3
is a bit excessive. I think Grok serves a part of the Zope 3 community, but
so much as to warrant 2 projects. I think this is the new kid on the block
effect.

Further, I would be really disturbed, if Paul does not get one of his proposed
projects (I really do not care which one). Of all the candidates, Paul has
the most promise to become a long-term committer and advocat of Zope 3. He is
also extremely smart, so he can produce very well-thought-out code.

Okay, now that I write a mail to the list I can address some comments on the
ZCML proposal.

Martijn, I did the measurements last year already (when I applied for the
project), and I know that converting the XML strings via schemas to Python
values is about 50% of the startup time. Pickles, on the other hand, are
quickly read, so I think the overall gain would be about 50%. For example, if
Zope takes 4 seconds to start now, it would take 2 seconds after the
improvements. I think that wildly! improves programming comfort. I would have
never applied or suggested the project if I would have not known the numbers.

As for switching to Python actions for configuration, I think this is worthy
thinking about. However, I think this particular problem has a wide scope and
takes a lot of work, more than what I would expect of a student during a GSoC
project. Also, the method of attack has not been fully thought out, adding to
the risk. If someone else would commit serious time to help Paul here, not
only with design but also

Lennart, I cannot believe you think that improving the startup time is not
useful. Have you ever done a pure Zope 3 project? ? BTW, this will not only
speed up the startup time, but functional testing too, so this is an all
around gain.

Regards,
Stephan
--