[Gsoc] proposal suggestions

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Wed Apr 2 11:39:46 EDT 2008

Hey,

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 3:47 PM, Jesper Petersen <instantfoo at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> Sounds good to me. So basically this (since Uli was willing to drop the
> introspector part )?
> * MartinL - Component registry tool (Zope2 Plone)
> * Uli - Docgrok (Grok)
> * Jesper - Object introspector (Zope3)

It's nice we see some separation between the two, but collaboration
and overlaps will undoubtedly remain. I don't see a component registry
tool that can't tell me what's registered for my component as very
useful - I want to know what adapters and views and so on are
available. And such a tool starts looking very much like an object
introspector to me. Similarly, Grok's system should be making use of
these underlying facilities. I think any strong separation between the
three will feel artificial. In order to find out about an object,
you'll need to know about the component registry, and in order to say
something about the state of a component registry, obviously the
objects registered in it are relevant.

I think strong collaboration between the three of you will be
necessary in order to make this work. I think I disagree with Lennart
here, who seems to see more differences between these projects than I
can determine.

Regards,

Martijn