[Gsoc] student slots allotment next Wednesday

Aroldo Souza-Leite asouzaleite at gmx.de
Thu Apr 3 07:40:49 EDT 2008

Hi all,

there are importat news from the Google Soc management, of which I want
to publish a few here:

On Wednesday, April 8, we are going to know how many grant slots ZF
should get, but the number slots can be still be changed by Google after
this date.

The algorithm and the criteria Google is going to use to allot SoC
grants among the mentoring organizations do not sound very well defined
to me. But reading the Gsoc management's wording carefully, one gets the
strong feeling that having many student applications is good, but having
good applications is much better.

I am very much for the policy of aiming at having **only good
applications**, that is, projects we **really** want to mentor, and the
mentor coordinator recommending  students whith weak applications to
withdraw.

Summa summarum: the engagement of mentors and their interaction with
students in the time period before the student application deadline is
essential!!!

Regards,

Aroldo.