[Gsoc] bad news on the Zope Foundation slot count

Uli Fouquet uli at gnufix.de
Thu Apr 10 09:21:05 EDT 2008

Hi there,

Martijn Faassen wrote:

> Apparently we cheered too early on the amount of slots the Zope
> Foundation will have - the numbers of assigned slots (10) we saw in
> the application are *not* the actual numbers. The number is still in
> flux and we're doing our best to increase it, but if the current story
> stands, we'll have only *2* slots, half of what we have last year.
>
> To be honest, given this number I feel like I've been wasting my own
> time and everybody else's. Our vastly increased efforts have had no
> impact. My apologies students and mentors. Looking at the list of
> other projects and the few slots they are assigned, I think we
> shouldn't hope for too many slots more - perhaps back to the 4 we had
> last year.

Ooh, that's really bad news. And a bit frustrating too :-(

I'm asking myself what Google's criteria are, especially because they
tell, that this year the overall number of student slots should be
increased
(http://code.google.com/opensource/gsoc/2008/faqs.html#0.1_number_students).

Anyway, many, many thanks to Martijn, Aroldo and others who helped to
prepare this event! You really did a great job and this disaster is
really not your fault!

I'm sure, that a lot of benefit for Zope will result from all the ideas
and preparations we all made these days. Some projects might also happen
without Google support, even though they will need more time then.

Whoever is willing to complete the zope.introspector project together
with me (with or without Google support), is still very welcome.

Google won't stop us :-)

Kind regards,

--
Uli