[Gsoc] ZODB-related project ideas

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Wed Mar 19 18:50:30 EDT 2008

Hey,

Some quick feedback. I'm no ZODB expert, and I hope other mentors will speak up.

I'll speak from my own perspective. :)

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 10:55 PM, Dirceu Pereira Tiegs
<dirceutiegs at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
>  = Improved replication for ZODB through ZEO Raid =

I think this would be good to have. RelStorage has an alternative
approach to replication, but non-RelStorage will be with us for the
foreseeable future. Replication also makes for a great 'checkbox
feature'. I'd be nice that as a side effect ZEO Raid would become very
easy to install (if it isn't already, I don't really know. :)

>  = RelStorage support to Microsoft SQLServer =

I'm not likely to use this, so this is less interesting to me. That
said, RelStorage projects would be interesting; what other RelStorage
tasks are around? Also: making it work with SQLServer might improve
RelStorage's database agnostic-ness (if it isn't already).

>  = Allow limiting the size of ClientStorage's blob cache =

I think this is a good task, but possibly a bit too small for the GSoC
(ZODB experts, please speak up on this). It'd be nice to add other
blob-related tasks to this (just in case). Are there any?

>  = An alternative object caching strategy for ZODB: object

A challenging project. Nice from a research perspective, pay-off might
be anything between dismal and spectacular. I think work in this area
would be good.

I think the most interesting to me are the ZEO Raid and the
alternative object caching strategy projects. But that might change if
you expand the blob proposal.

Anyway, ZODB experts, please speak up!

Regards,

Martijn