[Gsoc] Idea: graphical browser for ZODB

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Thu Mar 20 06:28:50 EDT 2008

Hey,

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 8:35 AM, Adam <agroszer.ll at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
>  Having a night's sleep about this there are still interesting ideas
>  around it like:
>
>  - it gives you at the moment a static view of the current DB, might be
>   interesting to be able to go back in time
>  - having some kind of transaction history viewer might be also nice
>  - having found the problem in your ZODB, a "give me a console here"
>   where you do a python command to fix the object would be quite cool
>  - something that determines object sizes in ZODB ("what the heck takes
>   up that much space")

Those are indeed good ideas. I think such a tool would be useful, and
you could still focus it on the lower level. It could then be
complimentary with the higher-level tools which I think Lennart and
myself are discussing (for Plone and Grok). It *would* be nice if the
tool were through the web, as then you could offer a whole TTW
experience to people. Of course much of the work could be done
independent from UI.

Regards,

Martijn