[Interface-dev] [Fwd: Re: Interfaces status and coordination]

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Jun 11 08:19:48 EDT 2004

Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-06-03 at 15:24, Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:
>

>>I want to format methods for calling from the web, provide schemas for
>>database persistence, verify constraints on remote method calls, and
>>provide serialization instructions for remote method calls.
>

> After talking with Itamar a bit about these use-cases, I think that the
> right thing to do is to subclass InterfaceClass and do my
> experimentation with different methods of specifying there.

Experimentation is good.

 > Are there
> any design problems with this approach?

Short answer is "I guess not". :)

But ... we have this new religion of adapters that tells me we should
be able to do this without resorting to subclassing. Of course, this
would require some long-overdue changes to the way the current interface
implementation works internaly.

> I do want to see, and hopefully eventually standardize upon, the spec
> you come up with, Jim, but I'd like to move Twisted (and Quotient, and
> Nevow) away from our old, cruddy  component system implementation ASAP,

Fair enough.

> and I don't want to introduce extra dependencies.  (Getting the Twisted
> slackers into shape for a release is a big enough challenge as it is.
> ^_^)

:)

FWIW, I'm thinking about this alot. Being at a conference and leading
a sprint (for some definition if leading;) doesn't allow me to do any
major projects, which gives me lots of time to ponder.  I hope to write
a number of interesting proposals on the way home, so perhaps you'll see
something soon.

Jim