[Interface-dev] Separate zope.interface package

Fred Drake fred at zope.com
Mon Jun 14 10:04:38 EDT 2004

On Monday 14 June 2004 06:59 am, Jim Fulton wrote:
 > I think this was a mistake.

What, specifically, do you feel was a mistake?  Using the ZopeX3 branch,
sharing the version number, both, or something else?

 > Now that the Twisted project is using Zope interfaces, we have
 > a new community of users that will have needs that drive changes
 > quicker than Zope 3 needs.  The need to make method definiton more
 > pluggable is an example.

This leads me to think that you mean zope.interface is really a top-level
project in it's own right.

 > The next feature release for zope.interface should be made from the
 > head.

For a feature release, sure.  Do you disagree that maintenance releases should
be from the ZopeX3-3.0 branch?  Unfortunately, a feature release going to
beta would cause a branch, which means a maintenance nightmare (yet another
branch where bug fixes need to be tracked).

 > Alternatively, it might be good idea for the Twisted project
 > to make thier *own* releases, according to their timing needs.

If this is done, would you want to also make releases of the zope.interface
code?  I think dual release cycles and mis-matches between the Zope 3
releases and zope.interface releases spell disaster.

 > I think your release tools should make this straightforward.

All that's needed to make a release is a tag in the Zope 3 project and a
version number to use with it, if the tag doesn't give it.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fred at zope.com>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation