[Interface-dev] Re: interface.py

Christopher Armstrong radeex at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 05:41:07 EDT 2005

On 7/11/05, Thomas Lotze <tl at gocept.com> wrote:
> Steve Alexander wrote:
>
> > I think it is an evil trick because it is unclear code.  Whenever someone
> > write unclear code but has a reason for not using a clear alternative, it
> > needs a comment to explain why.
>
> OK, no arguing against that. Maybe I played around too much with closures
> lately, so I didn't realize how unclear it was. However, I think the
> explanation needn't necessarily rant on evility where it actually just
> takes knowing why thing are done the way they are done.

That weird trick seems totally unnecessary to me; I don't see why
whoever wrote it thought it was so horrible to have a module-global
name bound -- just don't stick it in __all__. Plus, it took me *weeks*
to grok why it was used at all, even given the explanation in the code
(probably mostly because it never occurred to me that it was a good
reason ;)

Anyway, point is I think it was too bizarre a trick to really warrant
the non-issue of the module-global name.

--
  Twisted   |  Christopher Armstrong: International Man of Twistery
   Radix    |    -- http://radix.twistedmatrix.com
            |  Release Manager, Twisted Project
  \\\V///   |    -- http://twistedmatrix.com
   |o O|    |