[Interface-dev] zope.schema -- a plea for fewer dependencies

Stephen Waterbury waterbug at pangalactic.us
Tue May 26 23:59:31 EDT 2009

[Hope this isn't regarded as OT -- in my mind, zope.interface
and zope.schema are kind of siblings, and anyway I'm not a
member of any other zope lists. :) ]

Ironically, I had just given a zope.schema pitch to someone
and cited the fact that it depends only on zope.interface as
a selling point ... only to discover the next day that it had
grown some new ones -- namely, zope.events and zope.i18nmessages.
Hrm.  I am sure they were not added without some thought, but in
looking at how they are used -- esp. zope.events in just
one place, for object fields -- I just thought I'd ask if
they are really thought to be necessary.

My opinion is that they aren't, and they play into the feeling
that using a zope component tends to pull in more stuff than
one had hoped.  zope.interface is still great, and has no
dependencies.  I will still use zope.schema even with
the new dependencies (ok, maybe they are not that new --
sorry I didn't keep up very well! :), but I would prefer not
to have them.  For example, it would be nice if the 'notify'
event for object fields could be some kind of hook that could
invoke any event system -- I happen to like Louie, which I
use in my app -- so I wouldn't have to get this extra
event system that I don't plan on using.  In fact, zope.events
probably can talk to other event systems, I don't know, but I
just think it would be cleaner not to have it as a dependency.

Just thought I'd register my druthers, FWIW.  Thanks for
all the good stuff, zopesters!

Cheers,
Steve