[ZDP] OSWG, Documentation license issues

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 23:49:00 +0200

Hi everybody,

Two things: One is that we (Stephan, me, Paul Everitt) have been contacted
by Deb Richardson of the Open Source Writers Group
(http://www.thepuffingroup.com/oswg/) on the documentation topic. They're
there to provide assistance, which we of course appreciate tremendously.
I'll try to keep you posted on developments on this front.

A first issue that arose from this is the documentation licensing issue. We
need to clear this up. Preferably all Zope documentation (made by Digital
Creations or by community members) would have the same license, so we can
hack it all together and apart easily. Of course if people want to make
exceptions they can, it's just we need somekind of default.

Deb pointed us at the Open Publication License as a suggestion. This is
*not* the OpenContent license we discussed earlier.
http://www.opencontent.org/openpub/

It may be something. I'd like to get some decisions on this pretty quickly
now, so that this won't bother us in the future. Assistance and advice by
Digital Creations on this is very welcome; if Digital Creations picks an
open source documentation license for their docs, the rest of us will likely
follow them.

Regards,

Martijn