[ZDP] Documentation Plans

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 15:19:40 +0200

Rik Hoekstra wrote:

> <snip much of a good post about rearranging the documents>
>
> > We have some ideas about implementation...  However, before we go there,
> > I'd like some (any) feedback on what I've said here...  PLEASE, PLEASE,
> > PLEASE -- let's try and keep the discussion of documentation on the ZDP
> > list as opposed to the main Zope list.  It gets hard to ensure that
> > things don't fall through the cracks if valuable comments and ideas are
> > posted to multiple venues.
> >

> I think your reorganization plans are sound. A few questions and
> suggestions:
>
> - Are there any plans to integrate all this with the efforts of the ZDP. In
> other words, what parts of the documentation does DC think the ZDP should
> cover, and which parts we should not worry about?

This is a very important question. Is DC part of the ZDP, or is it half-in,
half-out of the ZDP (and in which ways?), or completely external to the ZDP
(and how do we cooperate?).

The basic idea seems to be that DC will take care of the *references*
mostly, eventually, while cooperating with the community (i.e. ZDP) in doing
the rest (HOWTOs, Guides, FAQ, etc). But some of these will still be created
by Digital Creations, and how does the editing procedure go? Can a (non DC)
ZDP member correct or add things in a DC created guide? And how?

In the code sense, this is much more clearly; the core code is managed and
developed primarily by Digital Creations, with bugfixes and contributions
from the community. With documentation this isn't entirely clear yet; quite
a lot of the documentation management will be done by the community, I gather
that the idea is.

Regards,

Martijn