[ZDP] Start Implementation of ZDP

Rik Hoekstra hoekstra@fswrul.fsw.leidenuniv.nl
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 09:09:57 +0200

> good questions. Well, in this case there are only relational
> databases left.
> I personally think they will do fine.
>
> what are you thinking?
>
> stephan

Hm,

And a hybrid pure ZClasses and ZClasses deriving from a pluggable brain
connected to a relational database, perhaps completed by one with a
connection to XML Document (though this doesn't do pluggable brains yet)?
Relational databases are a nuisance for storing text and code, in my
opinion. And for storing XML documents they are 'less than optimal' (and
slow as well).
The merits of this hybrid solution are a uniform interface, combined with a
flexible backend. Perhaps the primary means of accessing the ZClasses
concerned should be ZCatalog. This will give the ZDP incredible flexibility
combined with consistency in presentation. It makes design and
implementation a bit more heavy, though...

Rik