[ZDP] Start Implementation of ZDP

Martijn Faassen m.faassen@vet.uu.nl
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 10:34:09 +0200

Rik Hoekstra wrote:

> > good questions. Well, in this case there are only relational
> > databases left.
> > I personally think they will do fine.
> >
> > what are you thinking?
[snip]
> The merits of this hybrid solution are a uniform interface, combined with a
> flexible backend. Perhaps the primary means of accessing the ZClasses
> concerned should be ZCatalog. This will give the ZDP incredible flexibility
> combined with consistency in presentation. It makes design and
> implementation a bit more heavy, though...

We'd like to keep things simple though. Also an issue is that the ZDP
tools should be distributed without all kinds of relational database
requirements.

Anyway, let's go with ZClasses for now. Indexing by ZCatalog. When
necessary we throw in some XML (for structured docs, input/output) and
relational databases.

Now, what comes next? Stephan?

Regards,

Martijn