[ZDP] Have a look

Rik Hoekstra hoekstra@fsw.leidenuniv.nl
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 16:12:50 +0100

<resend because of obscure mailproblem>

> Ok, here is the proposal of the new ZDP-look site :
> http://zdp.zope.org:8080/ZDP/
>
> I totally manualy entered it. I tried to use WebDav, but received several
> errors and at the end, some folders where place under the wrong folders,
> images files weren't anymore image-files, and the dtml documents etc weren't
> copied!
> Did I do something wrong?

No, I suppose not. In my experience the WebDAV cooperation between
Zope and MS products has always been  buggy (and slooooow), though it
should have been improved lately (?).
FTP workes better, usually. But then, I don't know whether the ZDP
site has a Z ftp server running and I have never tried to ftp
directly from one Zope installation to another

> Does somebody knows a good way to move files from one zope server to another
> server without needing access to the import directory?

Hm , you might experiment with XML-RPC, though I know absolutely
nothing about it, so I may be completely lost ;^) Anyway, I don't
think it's worth the trouble.

> The New ZDP
>
> Please, give your comments.

I like the design, Tom

> Do you think other topics need to be placed at the home-page?

The precise difference and overlaps between projects and activity are
not clear to me. ANd would new contributions only be listed at drafts
or also at news?

A minor remark would be that the order of the items is a bit random.

A navigation help would either be a 'breadcrumbs' at the top of the
page (home / activity /  drafts / ....) and/or a mark at the active
item (changed color, a triangle >in front of it etc.)

> Do you've other ideas?

I'll think about it, not right now.

> Do you find it rubbish and you want something totally different?

No, it's good and clean. Nice work.

> Does someone has some ideas for the history page? Maybe this is something
> for Martijn Faassen, because he started ZDP and knows how things went from
> then? Martijn?
>
> You know a way to speed the loading? Let me know!
> You know a better way to implement the meny? Please, let me know!!

You could steal the example from the Zope site. It does not involve
Javascript. Then you would lose the mouseover thing, but I myself
would not consider this too much of a loss... Still, I'm rather
satisfied with the current menu.

Rik