[ZDP] Being nice to *NIX users and the joy of CSS...

Christopher Petrilli petrilli@digicool.com
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 11:21:15 +0000

Jules Allen wrote:

> I've noticed on zdp and zope.org that the site isn't really designed with
> anybody but Mac ("geneva") or Windows users in mind ("ms sans serif") :-).
> Anybody got any objections if I tweak the navbars, etc. to use stylesheets
> and add 'fixed' so the small type is readable in X?

One thing to keep in mind... CSS on UNIX Netscape browsers is broken
effectively when it comes to managing type sizes... why? Because
Xwindows has rather baroque concepts, and doesn't adapt to DPI
differences... if you change your font path to use 100dpi fonts instead
of 72dpi, then you'll get the right answer..

Why? Because most everyone is running at a dpi level WAY over 72... I
believe a 17" monitor running 1280x1024 (pretty common) is running like
105dpi, so a 12pt font looks TINY.

BTW, Mac and PCs get this wrong at some level too, just less wrong :-)
I eventually went away from absolute font measurements, and to ONLY
relative (i.e. 80%, 120%, etc), this fixed the problem to SOME level.

Chris
--
http://www.digicool.com
petrilli@digicool.com