[ZDP] FAQ Tool Working Group

Christopher Petrilli petrilli@amber.org
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 11:01:28 -0500

On Tue, Mar 09, 1999 at 01:14:29PM +0100, Martijn Faassen wrote:
> * Easy uploading of Structured Text formatted questions and answers.

Well, Ok, but honestly, this is a place where XML works pretty well.
Having tried to work with ST a lot, I keep running into bizarre
indentation problems, and problems where certain things don't work if
they're at the beginning of a line/etc.

> * Lots of different output formats; Structured Text and HTML perhaps
> initially, later on Docbook SGML or possibly a FAQ SGML format about
> there was some discussion, as well. The SGML can then be translated into
> lots of stuff. Easy downloads of all these outputs.

I honestly don't see as anything but ST and HTML will really be of that
much interest to the world.  You could provide an XML representation of
it if you needed---I could write the DTD if you need one.

> * Multiple sections

Multiple sections that can be subsections.  Just like folders :-)

> * Ability to move question/answer pairs from one section to another.
> Also possibly the ability to hyperlink (does a question involving how to
> call External Methods from DTML belong in the DTML section or the
> External Methods section? Both, it would seem, so put it in one section
> and hyperlink from the other).

If you make a section a folder, and a FAQ item a Product, then you can
just simply move them around using the regular cut/copy/paste interface,
no?  No reason to reinvent the wheel.  In fact if you make a Q/A pair a
folder that works too.

> * Versioning system. At the very least timestamp each question and
> answer with the last edit date; possibly store older versions of
> question/answer pairs. Ability for users to see all FAQs that were
> recently updated, or that are new (in a particular section?).

Why not use the existing object store for this?

Chris