[ZDP] A profusion of documentation

Martijn Faassen M.Faassen@vet.uu.nl
Wed, 12 May 1999 14:33:27 +0200

Hi there,

I'm seeing the ZDP project is generating a profusion of documentation.
As mentioned before, we should put this documentation on a webserver.
I'd naturally propose zdp.zope.org for this.

If someone feels the calling to:

a) Collect the documentation that we have

b) Make a relatively simple organization on the ZDP website. Keep this
simple initially.

c) Put the documents on the website

he or she can contact me for a ZDP zope login. If nobody volunteers
until next week or so, I'll volunteer myself. :) Note that I will only
check my mail irregularly later on this week, so you people might want
to contact Pavlos or Martijn Pieters instead, who can provide you with
access to the ZDP server as well. If they're around. :)

Once we've got it all collected we have some more overview and can think
about extending and improving it (as well as editing and restructuring).
I'm vaguely thinking about a Zen of Zope webbook, with many links to
examples, and each section should have a short 'Zen', such as:

Zen: Web sites are turning from magazine style publishing of pages into
complex interactive applications. To maintain and develop these web
applications a web application server can obviously help.

Zen: Take advantage of acquisition! Acquisition has powerful
consequences for the structuring of your site.

Minor Zen: Directories are acquired too!

Or whatever. Of course my Zens aren't very deep yet, but it's a start.

I expect we have a lot of work ahead of us to make the documentation as
helpful, complete, consistent and readable as possible, but with these
contributions we're leaping forwards.

Any discussion (from volunteers) on how what documentation to put on the
zdp.zope.org server, and what its initial simple structure should look
like should, as always, go to this list. Now I'll go back to reading all
your docs. :)

Regards,

Martijn