[ZDP] OpenContent issues

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin@texoma.net
Tue, 18 May 1999 08:08:34 -0500

The legal issues of copyright can be complex.
From what I understand of copyright laws, which is not great, these are
some issues here.

First:
Multiple copyright laws. The content authors here are from all over the
world. Each nation has it's own laws and then there are international
copyright laws.

Second:
From my understanding of U.S. and International copyright laws, the default
is to give copyright to the author of the content regardless of whether
copyright is explicitly stated.

I do not know if setting up ZDPs default as contrary to the general default
would be legally binding unless explicitly agreed to be each individual
participant.

Third:
Most of what transpires here is correspondence, letters, messages. This is
a whole 'nother category of copyright law.

Some thoughts about solutions.

Alot of what happens is someone comes up with some documentation and posts
it to the list. From that point it is read modified, corrected, etc. by
alot of people. If the documents creator would initially place this
document under "Open Content" just like "Open Source" and "GPL" have their
licenses clearly placed in the beginning of the document, then all future
collaborators would be understand the legal position of the document. This
would explicitly state a documents license and hopefully avoid any of the
above issues.

For the purpose of the ZDP, we should adopt or create an "Open Content"
license which the community uses as it's basis.

We could then begin a document with a simple line or two like this.

"Open Content License v.1.0
This document is release under the Open Content License.
The license may be downloaded from or view at http://www..."

Or maybe simply for the purposes of correspondence within this group a
simple line like this.

"Open Content"

The final version can contain full disclosure.

Once a document begins it's life OC then it is irrevocably established as
such. If a document begins it's life any other way it is copyright of the
author until the author explicitly changes it.

My 2 centavos

Jimmie Houchin