[ZDP] Zope vs CVS (Re: [ZDP] OpenContent issues)
19 May 1999 12:57:52 -0700
Paul Everitt <Paul@digicool.com> writes:
> Still, I'd like to hear what you think makes CVS "the more powerful
> version control". As a longtime CVS user I agree with you, but I want
> to make sure the reasons are the same.
I've probably been using CVS for less time, but here are some guesses:
- logging a comment with every check-in
- committing multiple files as a single operation
- robust & bandwidth-efficient support for offline work & multiple
authors - synchronization, merging
- powerful access to the repository - check out a snapshot as it
appeared at any point in time, history reporting, etc.
- customizable actions (cvswrappers) - cc a mail list, indent files, etc.
- version forking, tagging, other advanced features that I'm not
- the aforementioned popularity of CVS, meaning a wide selection of
ready-made tools and choice of GUIs - command-line, emacs, wincvs etc.