[ZDP] REVIEW: Proposed Zope Developer's Guide Outline

Martijn Faassen M.Faassen@vet.uu.nl
Thu, 20 May 1999 16:40:02 +0200

Amos Latteier wrote:
[ZDP people think about how to structure this on a Zope site]
[Amos replies he isn't thinking about that yet]

But we are thinking about it -- we're thinking about creating a web
based frameworks to map our and other Zope documentation effords.

> I am more interested in whether you think that I am on the right track in
> terms of coverage and organization of *developer* material.

At first glance it looks like a more complete list than I've seen yet.
:)

> My tentative plan is that a "Zope Developer's Guide" would complement the
> other existing Guides, and not have too much overlap. It should give
> developers the background, examples, and reference material they need to
> seriously hack Zope.

The question now is how we can avoid duplicating efforts. We don't, for
instance, want to spend time categorizing Zope topics if you are doing
it too. We need to figure out (which is partially why you asked in the
first place) how to best coordinate our efforts. Some issues:

* we're volunteers, don't have deadlines, don't get paid, are lazy and
prefer not doing a thing. So we don't particularly guarantee any
documentation.

* We are here so we're inclined to do something, though. We must be
nice. :)

* We won't do it however if other people are doing it anyway. :)

This isn't an ultimatum or something, just an observation. This is why
Amos needs to figure out what he'll not do and what we should do (and
vice versa we should help him figure it out). Do any of the
doc-categorizer-librarian types have suggestions? They are more informed
on the details than I am.

Regards,

Martijn