[ZDP] Zope installation + administration manual

Dody Gunawinata dody_g@eles.com
Fri, 01 Oct 1999 14:38:49 +1000

kamon.ayeva@bureauveritas.com wrote:

> OK, they (DC) did it. Zope Administration Guide aka ZAG.
> See www.zope.org/Docyumentation/Guides/ZAG_doc
> It is incomplete at the moment, but it means there is a duplicated path for
> us.
> So do we provide ZBook without the installation and configuration chapters
> ?
www.zope.org/Documentation/Guides/ZAG_doc

I have skimmed thru it and it looks quite good. We should just skip it
at this moment (well, nobody would prevent you if you still going
forward with your topics, but hey, you still got that security topics
:).

The risk of duplication is always there. If we don't do ZBook quick
enough, we might as well abandon the beginners part and go
for the more less documented area. ZBooks content is a moving target. If
in 4 weeks there is no substantial contribution to ZBook, it's as good
as dead.

We don't have to write everything from scratch. There are many (about
53) how-tos available,for Zope currently. But they are just that,
how-tos for a very specific thing. Good enough for solving problems
(sometimes) but it's not a good way to learn Zope. What we can do is
to find a way to integrate and collect those how-tos into ZBook (if
modification necessary, request the original author for modification,
off course with credits)

> Maybe ZBook could replace ZIG + ZAG in a near future.
> This would mean that ZDP is strong and motivated enough so that DC can
> count on us for quickly building the definite guide and marketing it as a
> value added thing for the community. The question is asked.

Yes, for that ZBook must be substantially good, otherwise, this is a
waste of time.

We can talk and talk and talk right now. Until we fill that ZCL (or
whatever it finally turns out to be), we cannot
expect DC to hand the documentation to ZDP.

So, let's start writing.

Dody