[ZDP] FYI: Documentation Futures

Alexandre Ratti alex@gabuzomeu.net
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 13:15:34 +0200

Hi Anthony,

Sounds interesting.

- We can post information about drafts on the zope and zdp mailing lists,
but postings have a short life time. However, they go to many readers.
- We can use a Web-based system. Postings stay up longer but readers have
to go to them.
=> I think this is an important issue because we need to attract the
attention of experienced users on the howtos and docs. We need their feedback.

How about:
- A Web-based system for posting, discussing and updating howtos, as you
suggested? Should be fairly prominent.
- When drafts are added or updated or versions are released, emails could
be sent automatically on the main zope and zdp lists to inform readers.
Simple version management definitively sounds necessary.

To avoid unnecessary traffic, I guess the Web system could compile a change
log for the day and send a daily update about docs. This log could include
a short description (entered when submitted) and a link to the text.
For instance:

Newly added howtos

- Setting your cat on fire with DTML (submitted by Jean Dupont)
Version 0.1 - 1999/10/28
Category: DTML hacks
Read it:<http://site/dir/dir/doc/>
Comment it: <http://site/dir/doc/comments/>

Updated howtos
- How to avoid the computer-melt down bug (updated by XXX)
Version 0.2 - 1999/10/28
Category: ...
Changes: ...
Read it:<http://site/dir/dir/doc/>
Comment it: <http://site/dir/doc/comments/>

etc.

Maybe a weekly update log could also be send to the announce list. The
issue here is keeping in touch with the lists because they are a major
information channel.

I need to look closer at the proposals mentioned by Tom Deprez.

Cheers.

Alexandre