[ZDP] A publisher for ZBook?

Martijn Faassen m.faassen@vet.uu.nl
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 16:28:48 +0200

Dody Gunawinata wrote:

> If this is going to be a ZDP project, I would disagree if the contents
> available in the printed form
> is more complete than the online form, just because printed book
> generates money. The are many ways we can arrange it.
>
> For one thing, I think Martin Faassen started this ZDP project to
> provides free information/guides to the user of Zope. A commercial
> backing should not change that good intentions. That's why many people
> use their spare time to write voluntarily.

Cool, I'm becoming a legend! (way back when Martijn Faassen started the
ZDP...) :).

Yes, I agree completely. All information the ZDP produces should be free
and open for everybody.

> In the long run, if we want Zope to succeed astronomically, there is a
> *need* for a complete book available for free on the Internet. Not
> everybody can afford buying a book (ask the students).

An open source project needs open documentation. It is true that not all
documentation needs to be open, but this is the ZDP; the ZDP is about
such open documentation.

> A printed form of ZBook can be a viable business that produce profit,
> but let's not forget the original intention.

Right -- no idea what to do with the profit anyway. I'm sure we can come
up with worthy causes -- perhaps we can fund more DC support of the ZDP
and Zope documentation. :)

Regards,

Martijn