[ZDP] managing zope projects in a structured fashion

Gregor Ottmann go@pbm.de
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 20:21:53 +0200

hyah!

we are currently considering the move from php3 to zope in our company.
during our evaluation process we discovered that there is no obvious way of
restricting zclass-visibility to a certain folder, which seems to be rather
annoying.

the problem actually looks like this: we want to set up some special folder
classes for a certain project that should not be available to other
projects. the most obvious way to do so seems to be creating a corresponding
product, creating a factory and simply add instances of our custom folder
object to the project's main folder.

this way of dealing with the problem has one serious disadvantage: the
global 'products'-folder will surely get terribly bloated if we should
migrate all of our projects (abou 50 websites at this time) to zope, and the
same will surely happen to the 'add object'-selectbox.

the question is: is there any way to create a products-folder as a subfolder
of a given project's base folder? or is there at least some way to organize
products via subfolders of the common products-folder?

sorry for bothering you with this potential RTFM-question, but i really
wasn't able to find any part of the documentation that deals with this
question.

i really don't want to push you, but the decision of wether using zope or
continuing to use php3 has to be made during the following 5 days, so i
would be terribly happy if you could answer soon.

thanks a lot in advance

gregor ottmann

---
PBM Online Services / Artis Group newmedia concepts
Gregor Ottmann
stellv. technische Leitung / assistant technical director

go@pbm.de / ottmann@artis-group.com
www.pbm.de / www.artis-group.com