[ZDP] FlexFAQ demo

Howard Shaw howard@tyroldata.com
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 14:03:27 -0500

First, my mailling list subscription has collapsed, so please reply to me as
well as to the list.

While I await your CoolFAQ with interest, I needed a FAQ tool today. I
downloaded the KnowledgeKit by Bill Anderson. I parsed its mechanism, then
created a FAQ tool which corrected the primary error I say in Anderson's
kit.

This FAQ tool allows the creation of Questions, Responses, and Walkthroughs.
All three of these are ZClasses derived from Folder objects, so they can
contain further objects. A Response is associated with a Question by placing
the response within the Question. Multiple Responses per Question are
possible, as well as Questions within Questions.

Walkthroughs are a variant of Questions within Questions, basically similar
to the walkthrough 'Wizards' on sites like the Microsoft Knowledge Base,
where an HTML document is appended with a list of options, usually yes/no
questions, which are linked to further inquiry, and allow a 'drill-down'
style of response to a question.

So far, no interface is provided for creating these objects outside of the
management interface.

There is a sample FlexFAQ demo at http://solar.texascomputers.com/FlexFAQ.
Note that the index_html document that creates the display, and the modified
'breadcrumbs' script which handles the folder breadcrumbs and the separate
walk-through breadcrumbs would both be included in the product, as example
templates.

I don't know how this compares with what is out there, with the sole
exception that I know it to be more flexible than the knowledge-kit product.
If I receive any requests, I will attempt to package it and place it on the
Zope.org site, on my member page.

Let me know what you think.
(Don't be too harsh; I've only been working on it for one morning. :-P)

P.S. The 'Question' on the root of the site and the answers below it, as
well as the sample walk-through, were created with an earlier version, and
lack the extra code which adds the title. That is why they show up as
'FlexYYYYY' instead of something relevant.

Thanks go to Bill Anderson for inspiration and my blatant rip-off of his
naming scheme.