[ZDP] ZDP-Tools Plans and ZDP guidelines

Rik Hoekstra rik.hoekstra@inghist.nl
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 13:13:26 +0200

[snip]

> > [rh] the point to throw in here is whether a whole zope archive would be the
> > best idea. It is the simplest to maintain (if it's technically working), of
> > course, but a mail digest would be an even better idea. This is technically
> > simpler , but requires more human resources (read volunteers).
>
> I don't want to create just another mail archive. There are other people
> who have the ressources do do so, but indeed what I want to do is actually
> a mail digest. Mails will only remain stored if they are being referenced !
> I just figure that this makes it work like the Python garbage collector :-)

I like that. How exactly will that work?

> > Right now, I  have started some watching of the mail lists (zope, zope-dev)
> > and I add snippets whenever anything I think is useful comes out of the list.
>
> I think it is a valiant effort to extract the information from the mailing
> list, but my reason for creating a MailStorage would be to give credit
> to the original author of the content. The extractors work really shows
> up even more this way if he can bring the mail from the original posts
> into a good shape.

ok, agreed

[snip]

> > * Changes History
> >
> > Changes could be gathered for ZDP-Tools and bundled with a new release to a
> > Changes.txt.
> >
> > Generally we need to capture changes to all that is added or changed. At the
> > bottom of every form there should be a field where you can take a not on
> > what you changed or added. This information would be gathered in a Changes
> > Folder.
> >
> > [rh] I'm not sure I know what you mean
>
> When I change a piece of documentation or add a new DTML method to a ZClass,
> then it should be supported by the ZDP-Tools to also create a Changes
> note on the fly.

ok

> > * Style Guide Tips and Zope Tips
> >
> > On a login Screen or in the Management interface there could be a place
> > where Tips can be displayed at random.
> >
> > [rh]mwah, the tips is the thing I always switch off immediately when I
> > install a new program. Tips look fancy, but I think they're useless (did you
> > even get a tip when you needed it)?
>
> OK, then we can put the tips into a repository and handle them like FAQs
> and Snippets.

yes

> > * List members with their Roles
> >
> > [rh] ok, but not for public view
>
> What do the others think ? I would not have a problem with showing
> my role in the project.

I don't have a problem myself, but I wonder whether it would be wise
from a security point of view.

> > [kamon]
> > * Synchronization of content with Zope.org (how-tos):
> > I imagine this can be done with XML-RPC syndication, but why not simply
> > propose to DC and the community that the how-tos area be switched to ZDP
> > site. The reason is that people will need a single point to access
> > documentation and also have the feature of downloading the how-tos.
>
> I want to add Links in which the content of the Howtos are hidden.
> The content will be found by the Catalog, but the people should
> first look at the source on Zope.org before looking into the copy
> on ZDP.

What about links with keywords/topics etc; this way you do not have to
mirror the howto's or keep in sync, and still be able to present them in
any way you's like to and consistently with the rest of the ZDP site.

Rik