[ZDP] New activity page

Maik Roeder roeder@berg.net
Tue, 08 Feb 2000 13:16:12 +0100

Hi Tom !

Tom Deprez wrote:
> >I think most of the stuff is already in place, isn't it ?
>
> * Yes, most things are in place, I'm only going to make some change in the
> buttons on the main-site. I'll make a members button,

ok.

> and change the news
> button on the main-menu to 'Headlines', because this is a better word for
> it. The real news can be found in the activity folder.

Why do you think it is a better name for it, when after all they are
news ?
I have made a mistake naming the activity header like

What's New at ZDP:

because there are shown the all objects that have been modified
and created. I will rename it to:

What's changed on ZDP ?

> * I don't know, but perhaps it's better to remove the 'RESOURCES' Button?

Yes. I don't like the name Ressources. Maybe we should make a button
Mailing list ? Relating to mailing lists, I have an idea: Wouldn't it
be great to have a script which automatically uploads the mail from
the mailing list to the ZDP site ? Does anyone know of such a product ?
These emails would not be therefor reference only, but for working
on. Emails could be ripped apart and transported into various folders
for example as news items, or snippets, or deleted.

> * I don't know yet how to write the history page. I hope Martijn Faassen
> will give some input into this, because he started ZDP. But I believe he's
> now on vacation.

The history can be tracked from the mailing list archive. We don't need to
put the history in a prominent place, because for our visitors this is
not so important.

> * I still have to make work on ZFAQ. Sorry, that this isn't done yet.

I will start the project for you. Have a look this evening.

> * Is there someone who wants ownership on ZTutorials? Who has some great
> ideas on this subject? Who has some tutorials to place?

I have a tutorial on how to create DocumentFolder Subclasses. Maybe I will
make a tutorial from my ZFAQ efforts.

> * Further, I'm still looking for a great graphic designer, who would like
> to make some icons for out ZDP topics (ZBook, ZHow-To, ZTutorials, ZAPI,
> ZFAQ, ZIT, ZQR) so we can make a nice graphic front.
> Anybody ideas, pro's, con's?

In my opinion graphics are not so very important for a documentation project
(Have you noticed the small icons when managing ? - Will need some more work
though). Look at the simplicity of the Zope.org site for example.

We need to concentrate on making ZDP a resource for the community, and it
would be good to have more links to external resources as well which the ZDP
cannot at this point provide. For example under projects I made a reference
to the Zope How-Tos on Zope.org. We could use much more stuff like this,
and more links.

In addition to the activity page, what do you think about a spotlight area ?
This spotlight could for example be used to give a brief intro to a new
ressource on ZDP. Maybe we could make this spotlight random like the Tips
on Zope.org, so more ressources can get a spotlight ?

More this evening,

Maik